Hi Beauties! Smashbox has a limited time offer for a free Double Exposure Lip and Cheek Color in Speedracer with any purchase of $55 or more. Simply enter coupon code CHIC at checkout at smashbox.com. This offer is only valid from 8/2-8/8/2010!
Have you ever wished you could dye your eyelashes the same way you dye your hair? Are you tired of applying mascara day after day and then removing it before bed? If so, eyelash tinting could be something you want to look into.
Eyelash tinting is a procedure that is very similar to coloring your hair. A tint is applied to the lashes that leaves them looking darker and more noticeable. This can make a really big difference for girls with lighter-colored lashes in particular. On the other hand, if your lashes are already black, it isn’t really necessary to get them tinted and if you do, your results may not be very noticeable depending on your lash type and the color used.
photo credit: Sienna Blakney
There are a few different colors available that range from very natural brown colors that look great on blondes to very dark black that helps deepen the tone of naturally black lashes and makes them appear glossier. There are also black shades that have a hint of blue or purple for a fun twist.
The entire procedure of eyelash tinting takes around fifteen minutes and is usually performed in a salon. A special cream is applied to prevent the tint from soaking into your skin. Cotton pads typically go over top of the cream, and then your eyelashes rest on the pads as the tint dries. As the dye is applied, you may feel a small amount of stinging but this is not dangerous and will go away quickly if you experience it at all- some people do not. It is a vegetable-based dye and is generally considered safe for the eye area. The dye normally stays on the lashes for about ten minutes. The effects last for about a month.
Eyelash tinting is a great way to get the look of darker, glossier lashes without putting forth any effort on a daily basis. Many people become converted after getting it done just once thanks to the convenience of not having to apply mascara every day. It is also a great choice for summertime if you plan to spend a lot of time swimming or at the beach and you want dark, pretty lashes with no smudging.
If you are mainly looking to increase the thickness of your lashes, not just darkening the color, you may want to look into eyelash extensions. Lash extensions are another great option for eliminating the need to wear mascara on a daily basis. Read a more extensive rundown of eyelash extensions – how they work, what to expect, and how to care for them so they last as long as possible.
You already know that you need to use a brush to properly apply makeup but not just any brush will do. If you have ever tried to use those sad little brushes that come inside of eye shadow or brush compacts, then you know that some brushes are better than others. Buying a cosmetics brush is not just a matter of running to the drugstore and grabbing a brush that looks like it is the right size. You need to put a bit of thought into your selection or you can end up wasting a lot of money. Here are some helpful tips for choosing cosmetics brushes.
• You should always buy the best quality makeup brushes you can afford. Yes, they can be pricey but this is one case where you really do get what you pay for. Good makeup brushes are an investment. Bad brushes need to be replaced more often and can irritate your skin.
photo credit: Fufi
• Natural bristles are generally better than synthetic ones. They also cost a lot more. Natural bristles are a must for large areas of the face but if you need to save some money, you can get away with synthetic fibers for any brushes that will be used with liquids.
• Pay attention to the material of the handle. Plastic is very easy to clean, which is important when you are working with liquids. Wooden handles, on the other hand, are more elegant and traditional but it can be very difficult to get stains out and these require extra drying time after washing. It’s really a matter of personal preference.
• Consider the density of the bristles in relation to the intended purpose of the brush. Stiff, tightly-packed bristles are a must for an eyebrow shading brush but softer bristles work better for applying loose powder all over the face.
• Look at handle length. Longer handles are easier to work with whereas shorter handles travel better.
• Concealer brushes can be synthetic if you are using them for liquid or cream concealer. Look for a small brush with a tapered round tip for covering blemishes and a flat, tapered square head for covering dark circles under the eyes.
• A good blush brush will be significantly larger than those that are usually included in the packaging of most blushes, yet not quite as big as a powder brush. Look for soft, natural bristles with a tapered head.
• If you are new to brushes, you might want to purchase a brush set from a reputable brand. Brands like MAC and Shu Uemura are considered some of the best. If your budget is smaller, you might want to try Sonia Kashuk or Essence of Beauty. Brush sets take some of the guesswork out of brush selection and are a great way to get a collection of useful brushes together. This often works out to be cheaper than buying them individually as well.
Release Date: September 30, 2010
From time to time, MAC collaborates with celebrities and fashion designers to come up with a special collection. From Liza Minelli to Hello Kitty, MAC is always finding an interesting twist for their makeup. After lots of speculation, now it is official: MAC is teaming up with Disney to create Venomous Villains, a collection of makeup inspired by the villainous characters in some of Disney’s most popular movies. Yes, that’s right- Disney. It may seem like an unlikely combination but think more along the lines of Cruella de Vil and Maleficent than Donald Duck and you’ll see that MAC has plenty of fodder for this collection.
One of the main draws of this collection is a new product called Magically Cool Liquid Powder. This is a powder highlighter that feels cool and refreshing on the face and appears to melt into skin and give a finish more like the kind you’d expect from a liquid. Truth and Light is the best choice for lighter skin tones with its sheer color and silvery-pink shimmer, whereas the bronzey Cajun is perfectly suited to medium to dark skin.
The Mineralize Eye Shadows in this collection are stunning. She Who Dares combines a dark green and pearlescent lime with a pearly navy blue. The two colors look great together and even better when worn in conjunction with the blackish green French Quarter Greasepaint stick.
Hot House Deep lipglass from Strange Hybrid is back. This is a surprisingly wearable blue-based raspberry gloss with a pink shimmer that gives the illusion of fuller lips. There is also a great blush called Bite of an Apple that gives cheeks a coral flush and looks particularly nice on Snow White complexions. Heartless is a bright cherry red lipstick that is really hard for most people to pull off with everyday looks but would be great if you are actually dressing as a Disney villain for Halloween.
The packaging features the various Disney villains on top of the typical black MAC packaging with a fun twist- they are making different expressions on different products! Overall it’s a fun collection with some must-have products even for non-Disney fans.
Release Date: August 26, 2010
Fabulous Felines is one of those gigantic MAC collections that seem to emerge each fall. If you think you can skip this one because you’re not a big fan of cats, think again. This collection is a lot more than just clever names. The colors stand on their own and will draw you in whether you want them to or not. The products in this collection are divided into three color themes: blue/grey/purple, golds, and smokey greens. There is also a designer bag that goes with each of the color themes.
MAC is unveiling its new Superslick Liquid Eyeliner in this collection. This liner is easier to apply than traditional liquid liners thanks to its innovative flocked tip and it also boasts the long lasting power of Liquidlast liners. The color selection is perfect for fall with metallic golds, silvers, and greens. Desires & Devices is a stunning sparkly forest green that can easily transition to holiday wear as well.
The eyeshadow quads take the stress out of choosing fall colors, with the Burmese Beauty Eye Quad being the most versatile and autumn-like of the three. There are lots of new lipsticks, lipglasses, and cremestick liners. The easy favorite here is A Quiet Roar lipglass with its soft white gold sheen.
Fabulous Felines also meets the expectations of pigment lovers with a new pigment called Bloodline. This pigment combines dark purple and dark brown to create a definitive answer for those who can’t seem to choose between the two shades when applying makeup. MAC also dug out some old favorites such as Antique Green. This pearly blue-green pigment almost looks like it was made to go with the new Desires & Devices Superslick liner.
This is indeed a large collection but it’s a very complete one and you could easily find everything you need to get through fall without having to look outside of the Fabulous Felines display cases.
Among the most popular products offered by Guerlain is their mascara. All of their mascara is well-formulated and features some of the most sleek and appealing packaging to be found on any mascara anywhere. The most coveted of all the Guerlain mascaras is the new Le 2 de Guerlain.
Le 2 de Guerlain is an innovative mascara that features two wands. There is a rubbery thick wand designed for applying mascara all over your top lashes and a smaller wand that helps you to fine tune the bottom lashes and lashes in the inner and outer corners of your eyes. The smaller wand also works well for applying a second coat on your top lashes. It does take longer to dry than your average mascara but it definitely delivers on its promise of long, thick lashes. It holds a curl well but can be a bit clumpy without proper combing. It is also available in several colors that go beyond the typical black and brown mascara shades such as deep blue and shimmery purple. It stays in place very well which means it can be tricky to remove. An eye makeup remover that is formulated for waterproof makeup is a must if you want to get all of this off of your lashes.
photo credit: Nathan Branch
Guerlain Maxi Lash Mascara helps create the illusion of thicker lashes. In fact, it can be so thickening that an eyelash comb is a must-have when using this product. It does a great job of thickening but not enough to make it stand apart from other thickening mascaras on the market. The formula is also a bit on the dry side. After a few weeks of use, the remaining product tends to dry out rather quickly so it’s important to keep the cap tightly closed if you tend to go through mascara slowly.
Divinora is one of Guerlain’s most popular mascaras and although it has been recently discontinued, it is still relatively easy to find and has obtained a cult status. This mascara will not give you dramatic eyelashes that will leave people wondering if they are fake. However, it is perfect for every day, office, or outdoor wear. It makes your lashes look full and separated without looking obvious that you are wearing mascara.
Guerlain has something to offer everyone with their mascara selection. Whether your lashes are too short, too thin, or not defined enough for your liking, you will be able to find a mascara from Guerlain that can improve the appearance of your lashes.
Release Date: September 16, 2010
In the world of Pro Longwear, Foundation and Concealer carry the show with creamy, medium buildable coverage right through to a flawless, natural finish. Marathon makeup to go, made from micronized pigments to promote the smoothest application and colour purity.
One of the more exciting products MAC has launched recently is the Pro Longwear Concealer. If you are wearing concealer, it’s because you want to hide something. Concealer is one of those products that you don’t want to fade during the day, especially considering that reapplying in public isn’t the most elegant feat. Finally MAC has come up with a concealer that truly stays in place. Pro Longwear Concealer is transfer-resistant as well as water-resistant so you can even keep your flaws under cover while swimming. MAC promises this will last for up to fifteen hours without changing color. This is a welcome change from other long-wearing concealers on the market that tend to turn orange toward the end of the day.
The finish is very natural. It’s a bit on the matte side but the formula isn’t drying. This concealer is equally suited to the under eye area as it is to blemishes. It doesn’t contain pore-clogging ingredients so you can cover pimples without worrying about creating new ones in the process. You don’t have to shy away from the eye area with this product because it’s ophthalmologist tested.
MAC has come out with the ultimate in long-wearing foundations with their Pro Longwear Foundation. This foundation lasts a whopping fifteen hours which means it outlasts all of the other foundations in their line. It also gives you a few minutes to blend before it dries and becomes budge-proof. The coverage is medium but it’s buildable for those who need something more heavy duty. Like the Pro Longwear Concealer, it doesn’t change color and it is non-acnegenic and ophthalmologist tested. It also contains special ingredients to help control oil throughout the day. This foundation has an SPF of 10 and broad-spectrum UV protection so you don’t need to use a separate sunscreen with this product if you’re only outdoors sporadically.
Overall, the MAC Pro Longwear Foundation and Concealer are two stellar products. They really do stay in place and the fact that the color doesn’t change is a big plus. These are products that MAC devotees will be thrilled with and may even convert some non-MAC fans as well.
Release Date: September 16, 2010
It’s an age-old dilemma that still doesn’t seem to have a good solution: How can you get your lipstick to stay put while eating? Cosmetics companies come out with long wearing lipsticks from time to time but most of these leave your lips dry and an unsightly ring of color around your lips. MAC addresses this problem head-on with their new Pro Longwear Lip Creme Collection.
As the name implies, these lipsticks are very creamy. They come in a wind-up tube that is similar to MAC’s lipstick packaging but taller and narrower. The consistency of these lip cremes is actually closer to a balm and they do a decent job of keeping lips hydrated.
One of the best things about these lipsticks is that they don’t require a special top coat like most long-wearing lipsticks. This means application is a snap, although you should probably use a mirror since the color is so pigmented that it’s not very forgiving. They do deliver on their promise to stay in place for up to twelve hours but don’t tempt fate by eating an oily pasta sauce. The colors go on pretty evenly and they have a subtle sheen to them. These lip cremes will be part of the permanent collection so MAC is placing a lot of confidence in this product. Don’t expect it to be just a passing trend.
Fading lipstick is a particular problem with bright and dark colors so MAC made sure to include several of these shades in the collection. Good to Go is a bold bright orange shade that is not for the faint of heart. Love Forever! is a daring bright pink with blue undertones. The dark brick red Extended Play is a great shade for fall. Prolong is a ruby red shade that is destined to become a classic for those who can pull off red lips. These are mostly cream formulas but there are also two frosty shades: the coppery Sweet Ever After and the nude/plum Made to Last. All of the colors provide full coverage.
If you have ever tried to apply sunless tanning lotion, then you know that it requires a good strategy to get it right. While sunless tanners are a great way to get a bronzed look without the risks associated with the sun’s rays, they can be a bit messy. Here are some tips to help you learn how to apply sunless tanning lotions for an even application and flawless finish.
1. Prep your skin. If you apply sunless tanner to dry, flaky skin, you are not going to like the results. Sunless tanning lotions tend to gather around rough patches which will make you have orange splotches. This is easy to avoid if you follow typical skin care tips – which always include exfoliation. Exfoliate first by using a scrub in the shower. Pay particular attention to your ankles, feet, knees, and elbows.
photo credit: ^@^ina
2. Get everything ready. Once you have sunless tanner on your hands, you are not going to want to touch everything in the bathroom because the lotion might cause discoloration. Gather an old towel, a nail brush, your sunless tanning lotion, and a sponge paintbrush if you plan to apply tanner to your back. Set everything up near a sink. Don’t do this in the bathroom after a steamy shower because sweating is a sure way to mess up the end result.
3. Begin with your legs. That way you won’t have to bend over while tanner is drying on your stomach and risk smudges. Start at the top of each leg and work your way down, applying it the same way you would a regular lotion but taking extra care not to miss any areas. Use a circular motion to avoid creating streaks. When you get to the bottom of each leg, try to extend the lotion downward onto your ankles and feet. You don’t want to add too much tanner to this area because it will build up and look strange.
4. Wash your hands and scrub your nails with the nail brush. Sunless tanners will tan your palms if you are not careful, so it’s a good idea to wash your hands before proceeding so your palms don’t get stained.
5. Next work on the upper half of your body. Start with your chest and work down to your stomach, again working in a circular motion. Then use the sponge paintbrush to apply it to your back or get help from someone else to reach this area. Next, apply it to your arms beginning at the top and working downward to the hands. Finally, apply the lotion to your face and neck using a very light hand as tanner seems to get darker in this area.
6. Wash your hands again, being careful not to splash water up on your arms which would rinse away the tanner.
7. Allow the tanner to dry. Wait for at least thirty minutes before dressing or putting on makeup, although it’s better if you can wait even longer. During this time, avoid sweating or contact with material such as your sofa or bed. You really have to be patient and let it dry thoroughly or you will end up with all kinds of streaks and markings.
Enter coupon code MACAO at checkout when placing an order at maccosmetics.com and get free shipping on any order! Enjoy! :)
No matter what type of eyeliner you prefer, you can probably find the perfect formula and color somewhere in MAC’s extensive eyeliner range. From traditional liner pencils to kohl pencils, liquid liners, and gels, no one can walk away from a MAC counter and honestly say they couldn’t find a liner they liked.
Pencil wearers can choose from traditional Pencil Liners, soft Eye Kohl pencils and their more intense cousins the Kohl Power Eye Pencils, the mechanical pencil-style Technakohl Liner, and the long lasting cult favorite Powerpoint Eye Pencils. The Powerpoints are absolutely budge-proof. Permaplum is a very rich metallic purple that is dark enough to look natural. It also has a pink shimmer but don’t be put off by that. It’s not noticeable but instead has the effect of making the liner look multi-dimensional.
For those who never have any luck with pencils, there are a number of liquid options. Liquid Eye Liner is a standard liquid liner whereas Penultimate Eye Liner is a liquid liner with a pen tip. MAC’s Liquidlast Liner is a very long-wearing liquid liner with a brush applicator that stays on even through a day at the beach or after some serious crying. Not only does it not run, it also doesn’t flake, which is pretty impressive for a liquid liner. In fact, when it’s time to remove it, plan on expending an extra effort with a waterproof eye makeup remover. It comes in a lot of fun colors that can be hard to find in liquid liners, such as the teal-colored Aqualine.
photo credit: ookikioo
Fluidlines are the best of both worlds. They are gel liners that look soft and smooth like a pencil but without the hassle of sharpening. The Fluidlines do not smudge and come in cute little glass pots. You have a lot of control over the application because you can use whatever brush you want depending on the desired outcome. Blitz & Glitz is a classic black with a golden pearl twist. It seems almost impossible to go through an entire pot, but be sure to cap the lid tightly to avoid drying out the gel.
With so many great options, the only problem you will have when buying a MAC Eyeliner is narrowing down your selection!
Release Date: July 8th, 2010
International: August 2010
Excitement for MAC’s In The Groove collection began to mount pretty much as soon as it was announced. The reason for all the hype is the re-release of the highly coveted Stereo Rose Mineralize Skinfinish. This shimmery dark coral powder seems to be universally flattering. It suits fair skin when applied with a light hand and a heavier application gives darker skin a beautiful pink glow. This product was a limited edition release in Gold Play several years ago and has been commanding a high price tag in second-hand sales ever since. Finally everyone will get a chance to go to their MAC counter and pay retail for it.
That being said, there is really so much more to In The Groove than just Stereo Rose so if you have already tried it and aren’t a fan, your pocketbook isn’t necessarily safe. In fact, Stereo Rose is just one of several Mineralize Skinfinishes that MAC has dug out from the archives for this collection. Petticoat, Comfort, and By Candlelight are a few other shades you may want to pick up while you can.
Mineralize Blushes and Mineralize Eye Shadow Trios also play a big role in In The Groove. Of the five limited edition blush duos, New Vibe is the easy favorite with touches of bronze to complement the rosy pink color. There are enough Mineralize Skinfinish Eye Shadow Trios to set the hearts of MAC shadow fans aflutter. Girls with lighter eyes will find the shades in Togetherness very flattering- a purple, grey, and lavender that look soft and elegant together. The green and beige shades in Calm, Cool, & Collected seem like they were custom made to help brown eyes pop.
The other big story in In The Groove is the limited edition Cremesheen Glasses. On the Scene is a pretty coral that is toned down with enough beige to make it wearable by people who want to wear coral but can never quite pull it off. Fashion Whim is a soft beige that is great for creating a nude lip look or toning down lipstick that is too bright.
Completing the collection are several new Cremesheen Lipsticks as well as some repromoted Powerpoints. The pearly purple Permaplum is one of those eyeliners everyone should own. One of the cremesheen lipsticks, All Styled Up, is a yellow-based pink which is perfect for those who can’t pull off cool-toned pinks as most lipsticks tend to be.
With so many products and colors to choose from, this is one of those collections that most MAC junkies will need to either budget for or avoid their MAC counters altogether during its release.
* All Styled Up – Bright yellow pink (Cremesheen) (Limited Edition)
* Call My Bluff – Mid-tone creamy coffee (Cremesheen) (Limited Edition)
* Creme de Nude – Pale muted peach beige (Cremesheen) (Permanent)
* Go For It – Mid-tone blue purple (Cremesheen) (Limited Edition)
* I Like It Like That – Deep Blue pink (Cremesheen) (Limited Edition)
* Jazzed – Bright coral pink (Cremesheen) (Limited Edition)
* Chillin’ – Light white blue (Limited Edition)
* Fashion Whim – Light Beige (Limited Edition)
* Going Casual – Sheer lilac (Limited Edition)
* On the Scene – Light Coral beige (Limited Edition)
* Right Image – Mid-tone blue pink (Limited Edition)
* You’ve Got It – Mid-tone silver grey (Limited Edition)
Mineralize Eye Shadow (Trio) ($19.50 U.S. / $23.50 CDN)
* Blue My Mind – Satin light blue/Pearly deep teal/Satin black (Limited Edition)
* Calm, Cool, & Collected – Satin deep green/Pearly green/Satin beige (Limited Edition)
* Fresh & Easy – Satin pink/Pearly burgundy/Satin grey (Limited Edition)
* In the Groove – Satin green/Pearly burgundy/Satin coral (Limited Edition)
* Love to Love – Satin beige/Pearly Bronze/Satin Brown (Limited Edition)
* Making It Easy – Satin red brown/Pearly beige rose/Satin dark beige (Limited Edition)
* Style Influencer – Satin silver/Pearly deep blue/Satin deep mauve brown (Limited Edition)
* Soften the Mood – Satin light brown/Pearly rose/Satin light blue (Limited Edition)
* Togetherness – Satin lavender/Pearly purple/Satin grey (Limited Edition)
Powerpoint Eye Pencil
* Navy Stain – Royal blue with shimmer (Permanent)
* Permaplum – Deep plum with pink shimmer (Permanent)
* Stubborn Brown – Deep Rich Brown (Permanent)
Zoom Lash Mascara ($13.00 U.S. / $15.50 CDN)
* Zoomblack – Rich Black (Permanent)
* By Candlelight – Golden pink (Frost) (Limited Edition) (Repromote)
* Stereo Rose – Coral with golden/bronze shimmering nuances (Frost) (Limited Edition) (Repromote)
* Comfort – Golden bronze (Frost) (Limited Edition) (Repromote)
* Petticoat – Pale rose with gold and amber veining (Frost) (Limited Edition) (Repromote)
Mineralize Blush Duo
* Happy Together – Satin caramel/Pearly beige (Limited Edition)
* A Little Bit of Sunshine – Satin light brown/Pearly beige (Limited Edition)
* Hang Loose – Satin bright pink/Pearly lavender (Limited Edition)
* Band of Roses – Satin blue pink/Pearly light plum (Limited Edition)
* New Vibe – Satin deep rose/Pearly bronze (Limited Edition)
* 187 Brush
Becca Cosmetics is an Australian makeup line originally developed because founder Rebecca Morris Williams was frustrated in her search for the perfect foundation. The lines foundation formulas have since become beloved of makeup artists and consumers alike, but Becca also offers a wide range of color cosmetics as well.
Many women complain that they cannot find a true color match in most foundations. Most lines tend to ignore very pale or very deep skin tones, or they ignore undertones, such as warm or cool. Therefore, someone with dark cool skin may find that the darkest foundation looks too orange, while someone with pale warm skin may find that the lightest shade is far too pink. Becca’s foundation stick comes in thirty different shades instead of the typical eight or twelve, thus increasing the chances that you will be able to find the perfect color. All of the Becca Cosmetics base products for the face contain SPF as well.
Becca Beach Tint is often featured in magazines and has been praised by makeup artists; the shade Watermelon is a fabulous pink that gives the perfect summer flush. A multi-use product, it can be used as a stain on lips and cheeks. This product has been named an Allure Best Beauty Product.
In fact, Becca offers many multi-use products, from shimmer powders to highly pigmented cheek crèmes that double as lip colors.
The Becca look is toned-down, a bit earthy, but still glamorous and quietly chic. By creating the perfect canvas with the tinted moisturizers and foundations, you really don’t need a lot of bright, loud colors to accent your natural beauty.
These products from Becca Cosmetics may be slightly harder to find, but they can be purchased in certain department stores, in makeup boutiques, and of course, online. If it seems like none of your foundations look right or perform the way you want them to, why not check out Becca?