We all get stuck in a beauty rut from time to time. Whenever you’re feeling bored or too set in your routine, think about trying out a few new beauty tips. You often learn tips and tricks that can help you improve your existing beauty regimen. It’s also a great idea to mix things up a little bit from time to time, just to add some variety to your looks. You’ll also want to stay up-to-date on current beauty trends and new beauty products that are launched each coming season.
For instance, it’s good to switch up your hair care products every so often to minimize build up and keep your hair from becoming dull. With skincare, you’ll want to be a little more cautious with new products in order to avoid extra stress to your skin. Be sure to find a solid review of a new product you’re considering. Find out if it has worked for others with a skin type similar to your own. Finally, consider the impact your health has on how you look. Make it a point to be aware of healthy habits you should incorporate into your life.
Whether it’s beauty product reviews, health and beauty tips, home beauty solutions or general beauty advice, you’ll find it all here!
Convenient Make Up Storage Ideas
Let’s be honest, we as women tend to continuously buy more and more make up and then are eventually overwhelmed by the amount of products that we have. Our drawers are filled with random shadows and liners, and our counter tops in our bathrooms tend to be over run with moisturizers and bronzers. It can be somewhat frustrating to never know where a certain product or item is, and when a bathroom is constantly messy it can be stressful. So, there are a few solutions that can be made in order to help correct and organize the chaos of the make-up drawers.
A first step in re-organizing the dreaded bathroom is to go through your make up and actually throw out the things you know are either too old, or that will never be used. Actually choosing to get rid of these things will help to make your task much easier.
Once you have gone through and cleaned out the products that needed to be thrown away, then sort them into categories to begin the organization process. you can choose to sort into whatever categories work best for you, such as shadows and liners, bronzers and powders, and lotions and creams.
Once you have organized into categories, you can then figure out the actual makeup storage. If you have drawers set aside for makeup, you can put your products into those. There are drawer separators and organizers which you can buy to place into the actual drawers. These will give you different compartments and help keep things separated.
If you do not have any drawer space, you can choose to buy make up storage containers. These can be found in all shapes and sizes, at many retail stores close to you. There are professional makeup cases which can hold a mind blowing amount of make up products neatly and securely. A case can also be stored under the sink, your bed, or in a corner of the bathroom to be out of the way. You can also opt to buy plastic organizational drawers which can be stored under your sink as well, or on the corner of your counter top. These drawers come in all sizes and varieties, allowing you the opportunity to customize your makeup storage needs.
Whatever way you choose to organize your makeup products and tools, you will benefit greatly from choosing to do so and you will make applying make up a much easier task every day.
The Best Waterproof Eye Liner: Choosing the Best Formula
There are some situations when a normal eyeliner will just not do. Normal eye liners can smudge or drift south throughout the day, especially when the weather is hot and humid, or when water is involved. It can be quite frustrating as a girl to have to constantly worry about whether or not our eyeliner is smudging or running, and having to constantly touch up our eye makeup. There is a solution to this pesky problem, and it is the simple act of choosing the best waterproof eye liner.
Choosing a waterproof eye liner can be somewhat overwhelming, since there are many different products available out there. The first step in finding one in the sea of products is to figure out what you want from an eye liner. Meaning, do you want an intense lined look, a thin and more natural look, or do you want a playful color?
Once you have decided what exactly you want from your eye liner, then you can start looking through the different brands. There are many great companies which produce the best waterproof eye liners, so it will not be hard to find a quality product. However, you do need to decipher on whether or not you want liquid or pencil liner.
A liquid eye liner is a good choice for any girl who is wanting a more dramatically defined eye. However, when you add into the equation that it is a waterproof eye liner then you will never have to worry about your liner smudging. Not only are waterproof liquid eye liners able to withstand becoming wet, but they have the ability to last all day with the same dramatic look just like when it is first applied.
If you choose to use a pencil waterproof liner, then you are also choosing a great product just like the liquid liner. However, a pencil liner is oftentimes much more easy to apply. Pencil liners are also much easier to remove at the end of the day, which can make washing your face a much easier task.
Whichever type of waterproof eye liner you choose, or brand, you are making a smart choice for your face. you will never have to worry again about your eye liner smudging or straying during the day, and especially not when you are swimming or dealing with humid temperatures.
Let us know what you think! In your opinion, which are the best waterproof eyeliners, best waterproof liquid eye liners and best waterproof eyeliner pencils?
Wedding Makeup Tutorial using Chanel Cosmetics
This tutorial shows some excellent makeup application tips for your wedding day or any special occasion. The tips are also important to remember for everyday use as well, ie: don’t over do it with concealer, and metallic shadows. The tutorial uses makeup from the Chanel Cosmetics line.
How to Get Longer Eyelashes
Want longer eyelashes? Join the club. There are a few different options you will want to consider.
Some of the more noticeable options include getting actual lash extensions applied by an aesthetician or getting a prescription for a pharmaceutical drug that actually promotes eyelash growth in a matter of a few weeks. Read on for more details:
Applied Eyelash Extensions
Eyelash extensions have come a long way over the past decade. Unlike the fake lashes of yesterday, which had to be applied with a stick on glue, today’s eyelash extensions range from extensions that are semi-permanent and applied lash by lash by a trained technician.
photo credit: Navy Blue StripesIf you’re heading to your favorite salon to have eyelash extensions applied, make sure the person applying them is trained and licensed. There’s a technique to applying extensions that look naturally thick and full, and it takes training to know how to properly apply eyelashes to achieve that natural look and last for a month or more.
Eyelash extensions are available in a variety of colors, thickness and lengths and a consultation with your stylist should determine the right combination for your eye color and shape. Some colors are uniquely designed to match or enhance the color of your eyes including beautiful hints of blues, violets, greens and purple. People cannot tell the difference between your lashes and extensions, because these synthetically applied extensions blend evenly with your natural lashes. On close examination, you can actually see what looks like roots. How natural is that?
Applying eyelash extensions by a licensed technician takes about an hour and a half, because approximately 30 or more eyelashes are bonded individually in various lengths to enhance your natural lashes. Prices for extension lashes run approximately $250 to $500. Lash fills (the touch up appointments you’ll have every three to four weeks after you get your initial lashes done) are much more affordable, ranging from about $20 to $60 depending upon which salon you visit.
Eyelash Extension Drug
New to the market, a pharmaceutical drug for those who are looking for longer lashes is becoming a popular solution. FDA approved LATISSE is fast becoming the eyelash extension of choice for women looking to speed up or replace eyelashes that are thinning or limp. It is also a fantastic solution for those women who may be undergoing chemotherapy and lost their lashes or women who have damaged tissue around the eyelid. This prescription is a gel, which is applied daily on the eyelids with the expectation that you will see results in about eight weeks. Lashes will grow for four months or so, and are then maintained with further applications. The topical gel is applied to the upper eyelid only and is only applied once a day. If you notice any side effects like redness or swelling, you should stop use and contact your physician. Treatments are sold in kits at about $120 per kit.
If you want to get longer eyelashes, you have plenty of options. Many salons offer free consultations. If you’re not sure which direction to go, find a salon you trust and go in for an appointment to determine which lash option is right for you.
All About Eyelash Tinting
Have you ever wished you could dye your eyelashes the same way you dye your hair? Are you tired of applying mascara day after day and then removing it before bed? If so, eyelash tinting could be something you want to look into.
Eyelash tinting is a procedure that is very similar to coloring your hair. A tint is applied to the lashes that leaves them looking darker and more noticeable. This can make a really big difference for girls with lighter-colored lashes in particular. On the other hand, if your lashes are already black, it isn’t really necessary to get them tinted and if you do, your results may not be very noticeable depending on your lash type and the color used.
photo credit: Sienna Blakney
There are a few different colors available that range from very natural brown colors that look great on blondes to very dark black that helps deepen the tone of naturally black lashes and makes them appear glossier. There are also black shades that have a hint of blue or purple for a fun twist.
The entire procedure of eyelash tinting takes around fifteen minutes and is usually performed in a salon. A special cream is applied to prevent the tint from soaking into your skin. Cotton pads typically go over top of the cream, and then your eyelashes rest on the pads as the tint dries. As the dye is applied, you may feel a small amount of stinging but this is not dangerous and will go away quickly if you experience it at all- some people do not. It is a vegetable-based dye and is generally considered safe for the eye area. The dye normally stays on the lashes for about ten minutes. The effects last for about a month.
Eyelash tinting is a great way to get the look of darker, glossier lashes without putting forth any effort on a daily basis. Many people become converted after getting it done just once thanks to the convenience of not having to apply mascara every day. It is also a great choice for summertime if you plan to spend a lot of time swimming or at the beach and you want dark, pretty lashes with no smudging.
If you are mainly looking to increase the thickness of your lashes, not just darkening the color, you may want to look into eyelash extensions. Lash extensions are another great option for eliminating the need to wear mascara on a daily basis. Read a more extensive rundown of eyelash extensions – how they work, what to expect, and how to care for them so they last as long as possible.
Makeup Brushes: What to Know Before You Buy
You already know that you need to use a brush to properly apply makeup but not just any brush will do. If you have ever tried to use those sad little brushes that come inside of eye shadow or brush compacts, then you know that some brushes are better than others. Buying a cosmetics brush is not just a matter of running to the drugstore and grabbing a brush that looks like it is the right size. You need to put a bit of thought into your selection or you can end up wasting a lot of money. Here are some helpful tips for choosing cosmetics brushes.
• You should always buy the best quality makeup brushes you can afford. Yes, they can be pricey but this is one case where you really do get what you pay for. Good makeup brushes are an investment. Bad brushes need to be replaced more often and can irritate your skin.
photo credit: Fufi
• Natural bristles are generally better than synthetic ones. They also cost a lot more. Natural bristles are a must for large areas of the face but if you need to save some money, you can get away with synthetic fibers for any brushes that will be used with liquids.
• Pay attention to the material of the handle. Plastic is very easy to clean, which is important when you are working with liquids. Wooden handles, on the other hand, are more elegant and traditional but it can be very difficult to get stains out and these require extra drying time after washing. It’s really a matter of personal preference.
• Consider the density of the bristles in relation to the intended purpose of the brush. Stiff, tightly-packed bristles are a must for an eyebrow shading brush but softer bristles work better for applying loose powder all over the face.
• Look at handle length. Longer handles are easier to work with whereas shorter handles travel better.
• Concealer brushes can be synthetic if you are using them for liquid or cream concealer. Look for a small brush with a tapered round tip for covering blemishes and a flat, tapered square head for covering dark circles under the eyes.
• A good blush brush will be significantly larger than those that are usually included in the packaging of most blushes, yet not quite as big as a powder brush. Look for soft, natural bristles with a tapered head.
• If you are new to brushes, you might want to purchase a brush set from a reputable brand. Brands like MAC and Shu Uemura are considered some of the best. If your budget is smaller, you might want to try Sonia Kashuk or Essence of Beauty. Brush sets take some of the guesswork out of brush selection and are a great way to get a collection of useful brushes together. This often works out to be cheaper than buying them individually as well.
How to Apply Sunless Tanning Lotions
If you have ever tried to apply sunless tanning lotion, then you know that it requires a good strategy to get it right. While sunless tanners are a great way to get a bronzed look without the risks associated with the sun’s rays, they can be a bit messy. Here are some tips to help you learn how to apply sunless tanning lotions for an even application and flawless finish.
1. Prep your skin. If you apply sunless tanner to dry, flaky skin, you are not going to like the results. Sunless tanning lotions tend to gather around rough patches which will make you have orange splotches. This is easy to avoid if you follow typical skin care tips – which always include exfoliation. Exfoliate first by using a scrub in the shower. Pay particular attention to your ankles, feet, knees, and elbows.
photo credit: ^@^ina
2. Get everything ready. Once you have sunless tanner on your hands, you are not going to want to touch everything in the bathroom because the lotion might cause discoloration. Gather an old towel, a nail brush, your sunless tanning lotion, and a sponge paintbrush if you plan to apply tanner to your back. Set everything up near a sink. Don’t do this in the bathroom after a steamy shower because sweating is a sure way to mess up the end result.
3. Begin with your legs. That way you won’t have to bend over while tanner is drying on your stomach and risk smudges. Start at the top of each leg and work your way down, applying it the same way you would a regular lotion but taking extra care not to miss any areas. Use a circular motion to avoid creating streaks. When you get to the bottom of each leg, try to extend the lotion downward onto your ankles and feet. You don’t want to add too much tanner to this area because it will build up and look strange.
4. Wash your hands and scrub your nails with the nail brush. Sunless tanners will tan your palms if you are not careful, so it’s a good idea to wash your hands before proceeding so your palms don’t get stained.
5. Next work on the upper half of your body. Start with your chest and work down to your stomach, again working in a circular motion. Then use the sponge paintbrush to apply it to your back or get help from someone else to reach this area. Next, apply it to your arms beginning at the top and working downward to the hands. Finally, apply the lotion to your face and neck using a very light hand as tanner seems to get darker in this area.
6. Wash your hands again, being careful not to splash water up on your arms which would rinse away the tanner.
7. Allow the tanner to dry. Wait for at least thirty minutes before dressing or putting on makeup, although it’s better if you can wait even longer. During this time, avoid sweating or contact with material such as your sofa or bed. You really have to be patient and let it dry thoroughly or you will end up with all kinds of streaks and markings.
How to Apply Eyeshadow
[See the rest of our How to Apply Makeup series for beginners.]
Eyeshadow is a great way to emphasize your eyes and create some really pretty looks. Most shadows come in powder format in little pots without any instructions. With so many different colors and brushes, it can be difficult to know where to start when applying eyeshadow. Since this “how-to” is part of our beginner’s How to Apply Makeup series, this is a basic routine for an everyday eyeshadow look. We have instructions on more advanced looks on our eye makeup page.
1. You will need a minimum of three colors to achieve a pretty eyeshadow look. Choose three shades in the same color family: one very sheer, one with a medium tone, and one dark color.
photo credit: Jacklyn DL
2. Begin with the sheer shade. This will be used as a wash over the entire eyelid. Neutrals are best for this purpose. Sweep the color over the entire eyelid all the way to your brows using a flat eyeshadow brush.
3. Next use the medium shade. Apply it only to the lid using a tapered brush and stop when you reach the crease. This color should fill the space between your lash line and the crease.
4. Finally, use the darkest color. This color should be applied sparingly. Remember, you can always add more but if you start out with too much, your look will be ruined. Using an angled brush, apply this color into the crease and then extend it slightly past the outer corner of your eye using a light sweeping motion.
5. Blend, blend, and blend some more. This is the most important step to achieving a natural look. Use a big, soft blending brush and brush in an outward motion from the inside corner toward the outside corner of each eye.
6. To tie the whole look together, you can take the darkest color and use it to line your lower lash line. A wet eyeliner brush can transform dark eyeshadow into a great eyeliner.
Eyelash Extensions – What to Expect
Eyelash extensions are a great way to get a glamorous eyelash look with little effort. Similar in theory to hair extensions, eyelash extensions are synthetic fibers that are attached to your existing lashes to make them look longer and fuller. This eliminates the very time-consuming step of curling your eyelashes and applying mascara every morning. Your eye makeup routine is reduced to just eyeshadow and liner – and all in all, you may not even need eyeliner at all. You can simply wake up looking beautiful. Lash extensions are a great idea for summer, beach vacations, cruises, or any situation where you want to look beautiful without having to worry about your mascara washing off. If you’re considering going in for your first appointment, here’s a little info on what to expect.
When you go to a salon to have professional eyelash extensions put on, expect to spend around an hour there. Normally your eyes will be gently taped closed while the aesthetician does her work. She will look for your shortest lashes and apply the extensions to those because they have the most room to grow and will help your extensions last longer in between visits. As human eyelashes have a very short life cycle of around 90 days, it is normal for lashes to occasionally fall off, including the ones where extensions have been applied. For this reason, touchups are recommended every few weeks with a complete re-do needed about every two or three months.
photo credit: PicturePurrfect685
The process of applying eyelash extensions is painless and once they are in place, they will feel very natural. In order to extend the life of your eyelash extensions, it is best to avoid waterproof eye makeup, oily eye makeup removers and creams, and avoid steaming your face. For the first few hours you should not get the extensions wet as the glue may take some time to dry completely. Some technicians will recommend keeping them dry for a full 24 hours. After that, you can swim and shower as usual without causing any problems for the extensions. You will also be instructed not to curl your lashes but this is not a problem because you can elect to have extensions with a curl applied. In fact, there are many different lash extension options to choose from in varying lengths, curls, thicknesses, and even colors so you can get the exact look that you desire. It is okay to wear a non-waterproof mascara on top of eyelash extensions but most people find that it is not necessary. Many women also get their eyelashes tinted to help keep the roots of their lashes dark to complete their look.
If you are looking to streamline your eye makeup routine and give your eyelashes a fuller and longer appearance, eyelash extensions are an easy way to accomplish your goal. It gives you the same effect as false lashes but only needs to be applied once every few months. Depending on which style of lashes you get, the result can be so natural that no one will guess that your lashes have been enhanced.
How to Apply Makeup Primer
[See the rest of our How to Apply Makeup series for beginners.]
Makeup primer is one of those beauty secrets that can make a big difference in the look and wear of your makeup. It preps your skin for makeup and creates a smooth base that makeup can adhere well to. If you’ve tried a foundation that looks fantastic on a friend or a model in a magazine only to be disappointed with the results, using makeup primers can make a big difference. Even if you are happy with the foundation you are currently using, a layer of cosmetics primer underneath can bring it to a whole new level.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you learn how to apply makeup primer:
Step 1: First you will need to use moisturizer. Putting any makeup on top of dry skin usually leads to trouble later in the day. Choose a light moisturizer as heavy creams tend to make primer slide right off your skin. Be sure to let the moisturizer sit for a few minutes to allow it to be absorbed into your skin.
Step 2: Pump or pour a small amount of the primer into your hand. Dip a damp foundation wedge sponge into the primer and dab it gently onto your face, beginning under your eyes and around your nose. (Note that some primers are packaged in such a way that you spritz them directly onto your face from the bottle.)
photo credit: L30Nde
Step 3: Next, add the primer to your forehead, chin, nose, and cheeks.
Step 4: Using the same sponge, blend the primer into your skin. Be sure you cover all areas s evenly as possible, but it’s okay to use a little extra in places where your makeup tends to wear off quickly, such as in the T-zone or over large pores.
Step 5: Wait a few minutes for your primer to dry before applying foundation and concealer.
Step 6: Most foundation primers aren’t suited for the eyelids, but you can purchase a primer specifically designed for the eyelid. Eyeshadow is often the first makeup to fade during the day. A good eye makeup primer can help you get much more mileage out of even the cheapest eyeshadows. Just rub some into your eyelids before applying shadow to help your shadow stick to your lids all day.
Once you know how to use makeup primer, you’ll have an extra secret weapon at your disposal to help you achieve the ultimate in your makeup look for your next special occasion.
Teeth Whitening Options – The Basics
Achieving a whiter smile is at the top of every beauty maven’s list. Healthy, white teeth are essential to that classic, gorgeous look. If you’re going to wear brighter lipstick and lipgloss shades that draw attention to your mouth, you especially need to make sure your teeth are white. Nowadays teeth whitening is relatively easy and affordable. The trick is knowing your options and finding the one that will work best for you.
Teeth whitening options include home remedies, drugstore products, and professional treatments at your dentist or teeth whitening specialist. Depending on your budget and needs, you can choose from a range of treatments to find one that best suits you.
Home remedies for teeth whitening are certainly cheap but their effectiveness is questionable. The many home remedy solutions include rubbing teeth with mashed strawberries and brushing teeth with baking soda mixed with water. The general idea behind these home remedies is to use a slightly abrasive substance, usually something that can be found in your kitchen, to rub down stains on the enamel of the teeth, similar to the process of exfoliating skin. Only some stains will react to these remedies, however, and more stubborn stains may require an aggressive approach instead. In addition, home remedies for teeth whitening may take weeks to see any result. They also may be too hard on your tooth enamel causing irreversible damage.
photo credit: The Style PA
Drugstore products for teeth whitening include teeth whitening strips, gels, toothpastes, and kits which include a whitening solution and a tray holder. There are numerous teeth whitening products that are popular for their price and effectiveness combined, such as the classic Crestwhite Strips. Drugstore teeth whitening products can whiten teeth in only a matter of days or weeks, and the results last on average from six months to a year. Since they are more affordable than professional whitening treatments, people on a budget usually opt for drugstore products, although they will need to use them every so often to maintain their white teeth. Trying free teeth whitening samples is a good way to test out a few products before forking out the cash. Once you know which products work best on your teeth, you will feel more confident spending money on a particular kit.
Professional treatments include in-office treatment using professional-grade bleaching systems. Dentists may also offer a cheaper take-home system using a mold of your teeth along with the a professional-grade bleach formula, although not as strong as the formula used in the office. A professional teeth whitening treatment performed by the dentist will offer guaranteed results and will last possibly up to two years or more. It is more expensive than the home remedy or drugstore options, but also offers the best results for super-white teeth.
Overall, remember to do your research when choosing your teeth whitening method. Make sure a product has good reviews from reputable sources before moving forward with a purchase. Each of these tooth whitening options has specific pros and cons. Using careful consideration, decide which one best fits your needs.
Basic Healthy Hair Tips
1) Be gentle when using heat on your hair. Heat-styling is shine-killer, so whenever possible, allow hair to air dry naturally. If air drying is not an option, set your styling tools on a low setting. If you can let your hair partially air dry, you can at least eliminate a large portion of the heat styling, which will be that much better for your hair.
2) Limit the use of hair sprays and gels containing alcohol. These products will ultimately leave your hair dry and brittle. Anti-frizz serum is a great alternative to gel. The serum will smooth your hair and leave it shiny and manageable.
3) Avoid shampooing your hair every day. Shampoo strips away natural oils from the scalp, robbing your hair of shine. Ideally, hair should be washed every 3 days or so, depending on how dry or oily your hair tends to be. Brush hair every day to distribute the natural oils to the ends of you hair.
photo credit: kelsey_lovefusionphoto
4) Utilize natural hair remedies. For example, extra virgin olive oil can work miracles on dry, unruly hair. Adding a few drops to your normal conditioner will leave your hair silky smooth. Olive oil can also be used on clean, damp hair as a serum. Simply rub a few drops between your palms, and apply to you hair before styling.
5) Deep conditioning is one of the most effective hair care tips to keep hair healthy. To dramatically improve the look and feel of your hair, use a deep conditioner once a week. Avoid rinsing with hot water if possible. Instead, rinse with cool water to seal the hair cuticle and improve shine. A deep conditioner helps to protect your hair, keep it flexible and strong so that you have less breakage in between treatments.
These tips for healthy hair can be adjusted depending on your hair’s unique type, texture, and style. Nurture your hair, and the payoff will be healthy, shiny locks that you can be proud of.
Make Your Makeup Last with MAC
Our favorite cosmetic brand, MAC Cosmetics, is made specifically to resist any active day or a night out on the town. Tougher than regular cosmetics, MAC knows there is much more to the glitz and glamor than just application. For me, there is nothing I hate more than creases on a beautifully done eyelid, or spending a bunch of time on my face makeup or eye makeup only to see the different shades blend together at the sight of sweat or moisture.
To prevent these cosmetic catastrophes, here are a couple products you might want to try (if you haven’t already), as well as a few quick makeup tips:
To avoid eyelid creases on your lid, first apply MAC Paint under your eyeshadow. These Paints blend right into your skin and serve as a base that will keep your eyeshadow looking fresh all day, or night. Some people use the paints as their actual shadow, but I often use it in addition to shadow to help my shadow last longer and stay in place. Paint can double as a simple basic primer that works well with a matte or shimmer look. The paints come in different shades, but my favorite is Bare Canvas – it is just that, a nice, neutral shade that provides the perfect canvas for your shadow. Truth be told I have even dabbed Bare Canvas on my lips to help keep my lip gloss or lip stick on a little longer. :D
photo credit: ookikioo
Now, shadows are not the only thing that starts to wear out and blend together. So, for a fresh all over look, MAC created its popular Prep + Prime – a makeup primer that you smooth over your face to achieve an impeccable powder application. Many of us use both foundation and powder but with Prep + Prime I have found that for a more natural look the powder itself will do just fine. Of course both can be used if a little more coverage is needed. If you’ve ever wondered how to make your makeup last all day, you’ll definitely want to give Prep + Prime a try. You can usually even stop by the MAC counter and have one of the makeup artists apply it to your skin so you can test it out.
When there is a long day or night ahead, let these top MAC products come to your cosmetic rescue and make your makeup last longer. MAC Paints and MAC Prep + Prime are both top notch MAC essentials that will prevent you from having to take a too many powder breaks – leaving more time for the more important things in life!
Healthy, Radiant Skin with NARS Cosmetics
This video tutorial shows you some essential, basic tips on how to achieve a healthy, gorgeous finish for your skin. In the tutorial, NARS primer, concealer, foundation and powder are used, but the tips can help you enhance your makeup routine regardless of which brand you use.
The techniques discussed in the video can provide an excellent foundation for any makeup look where you want good coverage and a flawless finish. Try them out for your next big event, photoshoot, or special occasion.
photo credit: kelpenhagen
For more natural, carefree looks (like summertime, beach, or workout looks), this tutorial may be a bit much. But for work looks, date nights, special occasions, or any event where you want perfect looking skin, these techniques can help you get it:
How to Fall Asleep: Tips and Advice
Besides just simply resting, your body actually heals and repairs itself as you sleep. Getting the recommended 7 1/2 to 9 hours of sleep each night is one of the least expensive and most effective beauty treatments you can do for yourself. By getting enough sleep you can avoid beauty catastrophes like ugly under-eye circles, dull, tired skin, pale complexion, and puffy or bloodshot eyes. There are dozens of benefits to making your beauty sleep a priority.
However, even if you understand the importance of getting your sleep, it doesn’t mean that falling asleep is a piece of cake. If you one of the millions who have trouble falling asleep from time to time, here are a few tips to help you fall asleep a little more quickly and easily:
photo credit: Elliott les yeux grand fermés
- Exercise every day. Ideally, you should try to fit in at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise each day. However, Even fifteen or twenty minutes of easy exercise like walking can help. Exercise helps to keep your stress hormones in check so that they don’t interfere with your sleep. Exercise at night however, can actually keep you awake, so be sure to do your exercise in the morning or afternoon.
- Avoid caffeine, nicotine or other stimulants within four hours of bedtime. If you’re extra sensitive to these types of things, you may want to consume less during the day, eliminate them entirely, or try avoiding them earlier in the day (try 6-8 hours before bedtime instead of four).
- Make sure your room isn’t too hot or too cold. Sleep experts recommend keeping it slightly cooler at night than during the day.
- Eliminate abrupt noises that can disrupt you as you are falling asleep. White noise or soft background noise can be soothing for some people, but things that stop and start, like the washing machine, should be turned off so you can effortlessly drift off.
- Avoid large meals right before your bedtime. As your body digests your food, it can actually end up disrupting your ability to sleep soundly.
- Get a comfortable mattress! If your mattress if old, sagging, or has lumps, you simply might need a new one. Check warehouses for discounts – you can usually find one for a good deal. Trust us, it’s worth the money. You spend quite a bit of your life sleeping! Experts also recommend using good quality cotton sheets and pillowcases.
- If light tends to keep you up, do whatever you need to so that your room is dark and calm. You may need to invest in some darker shades or curtains, or to move any nightlights or electronics that create light. Try placing them in another room.
- Sleep experts recommend using your bed only for sleep. Reading, watching TV, or using your computer in bed can actually contribute to sleep problems. You can use books or TV to help yourself wind down before you get in bed, but if you dedicate your bed to sleep, your body will begin to associate it with sleep and you’ll find that over time, you have an easier time getting sleepy once you lie down.
- Finally, many experts recommend that you create a bedtime routine. If you want to learn how to fall asleep easily, your routine could include taking a relaxing bath, drinking some warm milk, applying night time skin care products (they’re most effective at night anyway!), brushing and flossing, brushing your hair, changing into comfortable sleepwear or listening to music. Even yoga, stretching, deep breathing, muscle relaxation or other relaxation techniques are excellent things to incorporate. Your routine should be anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour. Doing the same routine over a period of time helps your body to learn “when” to get sleepy. Make sure you are relaxed and give yourself time to wind down. Focusing on the day’s positive events can help you relax and get your mind off the stress of the day, which is key in understanding how to fall asleep quickly.
Learning how to fall asleep can help you enjoy the relaxation, stress relief, healthy glow and rest that all of us so desperately need. No beauty treatment, facial, or makeup product can take the place of a good night’s sleep. You’ll look more relaxed and have a fresh, vibrant look that just can’t be duplicated.