Besides just simply resting, your body actually heals and repairs itself as you sleep. Getting the recommended 7 1/2 to 9 hours of sleep each night is one of the least expensive and most effective beauty treatments you can do for yourself. By getting enough sleep you can avoid beauty catastrophes like ugly under-eye circles, dull, tired skin, pale complexion, and puffy or bloodshot eyes. There are dozens of benefits to making your beauty sleep a priority.
However, even if you understand the importance of getting your sleep, it doesn’t mean that falling asleep is a piece of cake. If you one of the millions who have trouble falling asleep from time to time, here are a few tips to help you fall asleep a little more quickly and easily:
photo credit: Elliott les yeux grand fermés
- Exercise every day. Ideally, you should try to fit in at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise each day. However, Even fifteen or twenty minutes of easy exercise like walking can help. Exercise helps to keep your stress hormones in check so that they don’t interfere with your sleep. Exercise at night however, can actually keep you awake, so be sure to do your exercise in the morning or afternoon.
- Avoid caffeine, nicotine or other stimulants within four hours of bedtime. If you’re extra sensitive to these types of things, you may want to consume less during the day, eliminate them entirely, or try avoiding them earlier in the day (try 6-8 hours before bedtime instead of four).
- Make sure your room isn’t too hot or too cold. Sleep experts recommend keeping it slightly cooler at night than during the day.
- Eliminate abrupt noises that can disrupt you as you are falling asleep. White noise or soft background noise can be soothing for some people, but things that stop and start, like the washing machine, should be turned off so you can effortlessly drift off.
- Avoid large meals right before your bedtime. As your body digests your food, it can actually end up disrupting your ability to sleep soundly.
- Get a comfortable mattress! If your mattress if old, sagging, or has lumps, you simply might need a new one. Check warehouses for discounts – you can usually find one for a good deal. Trust us, it’s worth the money. You spend quite a bit of your life sleeping! Experts also recommend using good quality cotton sheets and pillowcases.
- If light tends to keep you up, do whatever you need to so that your room is dark and calm. You may need to invest in some darker shades or curtains, or to move any nightlights or electronics that create light. Try placing them in another room.
- Sleep experts recommend using your bed only for sleep. Reading, watching TV, or using your computer in bed can actually contribute to sleep problems. You can use books or TV to help yourself wind down before you get in bed, but if you dedicate your bed to sleep, your body will begin to associate it with sleep and you’ll find that over time, you have an easier time getting sleepy once you lie down.
- Finally, many experts recommend that you create a bedtime routine. If you want to learn how to fall asleep easily, your routine could include taking a relaxing bath, drinking some warm milk, applying night time skin care products (they’re most effective at night anyway!), brushing and flossing, brushing your hair, changing into comfortable sleepwear or listening to music. Even yoga, stretching, deep breathing, muscle relaxation or other relaxation techniques are excellent things to incorporate. Your routine should be anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour. Doing the same routine over a period of time helps your body to learn “when” to get sleepy. Make sure you are relaxed and give yourself time to wind down. Focusing on the day’s positive events can help you relax and get your mind off the stress of the day, which is key in understanding how to fall asleep quickly.
Learning how to fall asleep can help you enjoy the relaxation, stress relief, healthy glow and rest that all of us so desperately need. No beauty treatment, facial, or makeup product can take the place of a good night’s sleep. You’ll look more relaxed and have a fresh, vibrant look that just can’t be duplicated.
You may also want to join our mailing list.
Fatal error: Call to undefined function related_posts() in /home/sokissa/public_html/wp-content/themes/brightside/single.php on line 73