How to De-Pot MAC Eyeshadows and Blushes
Many people prefer having an eyeshadow palette so they can see all their shadows at once and keep them organized and in one place. Depotting MAC eyeshadows will allow you to create your own customized eyeshadow palette. Even better, you can return the empty shadow pots to MAC to get a free lipstick once you accumulate six of them under their Back to MAC recycling program. The same de-potting process can also be used on MAC powder blushes.
Taking the shadow pans out of the black pots that case them can be a bit tricky at first, but it’s quite simple once you get the hang of it. The hardest part is not breaking or shattering the shadow itself, but this is easy enough to avoid if you work slowly with a soft towel underneath to cushion any accidental falls. There are many different methods to depot MAC Cosmetics shadows. Many people use a flame to melt the plastic on the bottom of the pot but this can be downright dangerous. Some people use an iron, which is an improvement on the flame method. However, I find that the easiest and least risky method is using a hair straightening iron.
To get started, you only need a few items that most people already have on hand. You will need a sharp knife, a bit of wax paper, a soft towel, and a flat iron. You can use any type of flat iron as long as the plates are flat. Finally, if you are super organized, you might want to get some round sticky labels so you can label your shadows. The ¾ inch size works well on MAC shadow pans.
photo credit: wine me up
1. Lay the towel down on your working space to avoid any eyeshadow breakage disasters.
2. Open up the shadow pot and look for the line near the clasp where the shroud for the pan sits in the pot. Insert the knife into this line and gently wiggle it back and forth until you are able to pop out the shroud. You may be surprised at how easily the shroud pops out so work over the towel just in case! Set the pot aside and use it for Back to MAC.
3. Turn on your flat iron and rest it on one side, so that one of the plates is facing up and the other is facing down. Cut a piece of wax paper about four inches by four inches and place it on the plate that is facing up.
4. Set the shroud on top of the waxed paper, ensuring that it is positioned over the plate of the flat iron. You should leave it on top of there for several minutes so the heat can melt the bottom of the shroud and the glue a bit. How long this takes depends on your iron, but around five minutes should do the trick. Carefully check the bottom of the shroud and look for an indent in the middle. This signifies that it’s ready for the next step.
5. Stick your knife into the melted indent on the bottom of the shroud and push up gently. The plastic should be soft and the knife should slide right in. The pan should lift out easily. If not, let it cook a little more on the flat iron. You don’t want to push it out all the way- just lift it out a little.
6. Turn the shroud over and place the blade of your knife underneath the pan. Use the blade to lift the pan out and set it on the towel to cool. The metal of the pan will be extremely hot so don’t touch it! Once it cools, it’s ready to be placed into your palette. You can use cotton swabs dipped in alcohol to remove any extra glue that remains stuck to the pan. You can also attach a magnet or sticker if desired.
Now you’re all set to create your own custom MAC eyeshadow palettes!
MAC: All Ages, All Races, All Sexes Collection
Release Date: January 7, 2010
All Ages, All Races, All Sexes is our credo. Now M?A?C takes the “One World” idea further than ever, with a multi-culti colour story intent on a universal focus – spectacularly shaded and shaped brows for all, because beautiful people come in colours! Miraculously matched to the individual, Impeccable Brow Pencil is the ultimate artist’s tool to fill, lengthen and shape, with a firm tip that sharpens application for high-performance precision. Penultimate Brow Marker, in one shade suits all, has a liquefied glide adept at the all-important arch. But that’s not all: Lipstick, Lipglass, Eye Shadow and Nail Lacquer shade extensions speak your language, a match for every international skin tone.
MAC All Ages, All Races, All Sexes is a collection aimed at everyone. As the name implies, any person imaginable could find something they could use in this collection, and that includes long-time MAC loyalists as well as those who have never visited a makeup counter before.
This collection is chock-full of neutral shades and is reminiscent of the N Collection. In fact, MAC dug out the 5N lipstick from N for the occasion. The limited edition shades of lipstick, lipglass, and eyeshadow offered here are all safe bets for those of us who simply can’t pull off bright colors or don’t want to. One of the most exciting things about this collection is the return of Banshee eye shadow from Rebel Rock, a glittery taupe/mauve that complements every eye color. If you missed out on Banshee the first time around, now is the time to stock up!
Brows are heavily emphasized in this collection, with the Impeccable Brow Pencil, the Penultimate Brow Maker, Brow Set, and Brow pencils. Those with lighter hair will be thrilled with the brow offerings for blondes, who normally don’t encounter as many brow color options as darker-haired women. Well-shaped and defined brows can really help frame the face and complete your look, so it’s great to have so many options joining MAC’s permanent collection. The brow pencils and gels are easy to work with and create a natural look. If you’re not a fan of the drawn-on eyebrow look, steer clear of the Penultimate Brow Maker, which is an inky marker that is very noticeable.
One thing to note is that with the launch of this collection, pigment jars will be shrinking. The traditional 7.5 gram jar is being replaced with a 4.3 gram jar. This would be fine if the price reflected the smaller amount, but unfortunately the price will remain the same. There are two new pigment colors: Universal Mix, a sparkly white, and Rich Life, a very dark brown with a hint of silver sparkle that is perfect for creating a smokey eye.
All Ages, All Races, All Sexes is a great collection if you are looking to stock up on neutrals and a great place to look for shades that are suitable for darker skin tones.
Lipstick ($14.00 US/$16.50 CDN)
* 5N – Plumy sheer brown (Lustre) (Limited Edition) (Repromote)
* Empowered – Creamy mid-tone neutral brown (Satin) (Limited Edition)
* Equality – Light dirty mauve with traveling pearl (Lustre) (Limited Edition)
* Myself – Creamy pale yellow beige (Lustre) (Limited Edition)
Lipglass ($14.00 US/$16.50 CDN)
* Glamour – for All Sheer pale baby pink with pearl (Limited Edition)
* Spirit & Soul – Frosted dark cool brown (Limited Edition)
* Liqueur – Frosted mid-tone pink brown (Limited Edition) (Repromote)
* Naked Frost – Sheer taupe with silver pearl (Limited Edition) (Repromote)
Eyeshadow ($14.50 U.S. / $17.50 CDN)
* All Races – Cool light mauve tapue (Matte) (Limited Edition)
* Cross-Cultural – Dark yellow brown (Matte) (Limited Edition)
* Banshee – Dirty taupe with frost and sparkle (Lustre) (Limited Edition) (Repromote)
* Showstopper – Deep blackened brown (Matte) (Limited Edition) (Repromote)
Pigment ($19.50 U.S. / $23.00 CDN)
* Universal Mix – Sparkly white gold (Limited Edition)
* Rich Life – Dark cool brown with silver pearl (Limited Edition)
Impeccable Brow Pencil ($15.00 U.S. / $18.00 CDN) (Permanent)
* Blonde – Pale yellow brown
* Dirty Blonde – Cool light brown
* Taupe – Mid-tone taupe
* Black – Blackened dark neutral brown
Penultimate Brow Marker ($16.50 U.S. / $20.00 CDN) (Limited Edition)
* Universal – Sheer neutral brown
Brow Set (Permanent)
Eye Brows (Permanent)
Beauty Powder Blush ($19.50 U.S. / $24.00 CDN)*
* Personal Style – Light mauve taupe (Limited Edition)
* All’s Good – Cool deep rose (Limited Edition)
Blot Powder / Pressed (Permanent)
* Deep Dark