How to Apply Eyeshadow
[See the rest of our How to Apply Makeup series for beginners.]
Eyeshadow is a great way to emphasize your eyes and create some really pretty looks. Most shadows come in powder format in little pots without any instructions. With so many different colors and brushes, it can be difficult to know where to start when applying eyeshadow. Since this “how-to” is part of our beginner’s How to Apply Makeup series, this is a basic routine for an everyday eyeshadow look. We have instructions on more advanced looks on our eye makeup page.
1. You will need a minimum of three colors to achieve a pretty eyeshadow look. Choose three shades in the same color family: one very sheer, one with a medium tone, and one dark color.
photo credit: Jacklyn DL
2. Begin with the sheer shade. This will be used as a wash over the entire eyelid. Neutrals are best for this purpose. Sweep the color over the entire eyelid all the way to your brows using a flat eyeshadow brush.
3. Next use the medium shade. Apply it only to the lid using a tapered brush and stop when you reach the crease. This color should fill the space between your lash line and the crease.
4. Finally, use the darkest color. This color should be applied sparingly. Remember, you can always add more but if you start out with too much, your look will be ruined. Using an angled brush, apply this color into the crease and then extend it slightly past the outer corner of your eye using a light sweeping motion.
5. Blend, blend, and blend some more. This is the most important step to achieving a natural look. Use a big, soft blending brush and brush in an outward motion from the inside corner toward the outside corner of each eye.
6. To tie the whole look together, you can take the darkest color and use it to line your lower lash line. A wet eyeliner brush can transform dark eyeshadow into a great eyeliner.
MAC: Prep for Colour Collection
Release Date: April 1, 2010 (previously April 8, 2010)
Japan: February 25, 2010
International: April 2010
Artists use watercolor, oil, chalk, pastel, pencil, ink. We use makeup. Both require a bold vision and a perfectly primed canvas to start. New innovations to ensure the Artist’s idyll is perfectly realized: Prep + Prime Skin Brightening Serum evens out any skin tone, Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50 helps stop future damage with ultimate determination, and for M·A·C Asia, Prep + Prime Fortified Skin Enhancer SPF 35/PA+++ blurs visible skin imperfections and helps block harmful rays. The state-of-the-art way to prepare skin for a flawless makeup application. Prep for Colour helps every skin type become a modern masterpiece.
MAC’s Prep for Colour is a collection of products that aim to transform your face into a blank canvas on which you can create your makeup masterpiece. Before you can create a particular look, it’s helpful to begin with great skin. That’s where Prep for Colour comes in.
The Prep + Prime line of products gives everyone a good starting point. Prep + Prime Skin Brightening Serum contains natural antioxidants that help your skin to be as healthy as possible and fight off damage from the sun and environment. It also plumps the skin for a healthy glow and leaves it feeling quenched and looking brighter.
There is also an SPF 50 sunblock called Prep + Prime Face Protect. MAC is also releasing an Asian exclusive product called Prep + Prime Fortified Skin Enhancer SPF 35/PA+++ which is a tinted primer that also acts as a heavy duty sunblock and is available in three shades that correct skin problems such as redness and dull skin.
Prep for Colour also features three brown eyeshadows including the reappearance of the highly coveted Hey shadow from Fafi. This Veluxe Pearl beige is a great brown for warm skin tones. Those with cooler undertones might fare better with the ashy brown Prepped for Glamour.
There is also a lipglass and although it doesn’t necessarily fit in with the rest of the theme, it is definitely a great way to complete your look. It’s called Just Add Colour and is a frosty fuchsia.
Prep for Colour is a great line of basics you can use to build whatever look you desire.
Eyeshadow ($14.50 US/$17.00)
* Hey – Warm mid-tone beige (Veluxe Pearl) (Limited Edition)
* Prepped for Glamour – Ashy/dirty brown (Frost) (Limited Edition)
* Sorcery – Reddish mid-tone brown (Satin) (Limited Edition)
Lipglass ($14.00 US/$16.50 CDN)
* Just Add Colour – Fuchsia pink (Frost) (Limited Edition)
Prep + Prime Skin Brightening Serum ($40.00 US/$48.00 CDN)
A serum formulated to instantly brighten, smooth, firm, and hydrate the skin while providing a plumper, more evenly toned finish to the complexion. Natural antioxidants help to strengthen the skin against UV-related damage, while M·A·C Charged Water ensures deep, long-lasting hydration. Everywhere except Asia.
Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50 ($30.00 US/$36.50 CDN)
Everywhere except Asia.
Prep + Prime Fortified Skin Enhancer SPF 35/PA+++ ($30.00 US/$36.50 CDN)
A tinted skin primer formulated with soft-focus powders to help even out skin tone and add radiance. Lightweight and invisible, it goes on under foundation or powder for a naturally perfect look and subtle glow. Helps protect against pollution and UV rays. Available in three tints: Illuminate adds radiance to a sallow complexion; Neutralize calms a red, blotchy complexion; and Adjust brightens dull skin. Fragrance free. Asia exclusive.