MAC: Pret a Papier Collection
Release Date: April 22, 2010
International: May 2010
Craft Paper Couture – an inspired idea cut like a pattern and whipped up into a frisky little “funny face” frock. Then, strip it back to its essence for Summer 2010 for a Pret-a-Papier colour collection. It was a Project Runway challenge of sorts, with paper as the source, the instigator of ideas, the beginning of something simply, basically beautiful. Lipstick, Lipglass, Eyeshadow, Paint Pot, Chromografic Pencil, Studio Fix Lash, Impeccable Brow Pencil, Sheertone and Mineralize Blushes, and Nail Lacquer in a seamless spectrum of parchment-to-vellum beiges, with an occasional, clever colour spill, coral among the most au courant.
MAC’s Pret a Papier collection is sure to please lovers of beige and coral. The promo materials play up the contrast of bright pinks and peaches against the backdrop of soft golden beige. Even if those don’t rank among your favorite cosmetics colors, there are still a few items here worth checking out.
This collection features two paint pots that match the theme perfectly. The new Coral Crepe Paint Pot is a lovely muted coral shade that is limited edition. There is also Groundwork, a repromote of the classic creamy taupe paint pot that is the perfect base for just about any eyeshadow look.
MAC is offering two coral lipsticks as part of this collection. Dressmaker, Dressmaker is a light coral with some peach thrown in for a result that is bright without being bold and helps you look more awake. Made to Order is the other coral and this one is more on the neutral side for those who want to wear coral but have trouble pulling off so much pink. Both are the Lustre formulation which means you can expect a wash of color with a soft sheen and plenty of hydration. MAC also dug up Archetype from the McQueen collection for this occasion. This beige-gold lipstick creates a nude lip that pairs well the Coral Crepe Paint Pot eye look without competing with it. However, without other bright colors on your face to balance out your look, this lipstick can make you look washed out.
Chromagraphic Pencils are flesh-toned pencil liners that have many great uses. The two available are NC15/NW20 and NW25/NC30 but getting an exact match is not really necessary. These are perfect for your waterline because they aren’t as obvious as using white or a light blue. They can also be used right next to your usual darker eyeliner to help make the dark line look cleaner and more defined.
Five eyeshadows make up part of this collection. Tissue Weight is one of the prettiest. This is a very soft and subtle frosted peach that is great as a lid wash or brow highlighter. Gazette Grey is one of the more unique shades of eyeshadow MAC has released recently. This dark grey-meets-green color has a pearly gold sheen to it that does not immediately call to mind any other color in MAC’s range. Gold and grey seem like an unusual combination but the green helps bring everything together and the result is a dramatic look that is particularly suited to blue eyes.
Lipstick $14.00 US/$16.50 CDN
* ArcheType – Sheer Light Gold (Lustre)
* Dressmaker, Dressmaker – Creamy light peach coral (Lustre)
* Kraft – Creamy mid-tone warm brown (Amplified)
* Made To Order – Creamy mid-tone dirty coral (Lustre)
Lipglass $14.00 US/$16.50 CDN
* C-Thru – Peachy beige with shimmer
* Fold and Tuck – Mid-tone bright coral with soft pearl
* Pret-a-Papier – Dark reddened bronze with pearl
Eyeshadow $14.50 US/$17.50 CDN
* Bamboo – Light beige with peach (Matte)
* Cut To Fit – Frosted red-bronze (Frost)
* Gazette Grey – Dark green-grey with gold-pearl (Velvet)
* Memorabilia – Dirty purple (Matte)
* Tissue Weight – Frosted pale peach (Frost)
Paint Pot $16.50 US/$22.00 CDN
* Coral Crepe – Soft Coral
* Ground Work: Mid Tone Neutral Taupe
Chromagraphic Pencil $14.50 US/$17.50 CDN
* NC 15 / NW 20
* NW 25 / NC 30
Impeccable Brow Pencil $15.00 US/$18.00 CDN
* Dirty Blonde – Blackened dark neutral brown
* Taupe – Mid-tone dirty taupe
Studio Fix Lash $13.00 US/$15.50 CDN
* Black Fix – Black
Sheertone Blush $18.50 US/$22.00 CDN
* Garb – Light golden suntan
* Instant Chic – Mid-tone muted coral
Mineralize Blush $23.00 US/$27.50 CDN
* Light Over Dark – Light yellow brown / dark peach (Frost)
Nail Lacquer $12.00 US/$14.50 CDN
* Brown Bag – Mid-tone warm dirty beige (Cream)
* Originality – Sparkly copper bronze (Frost)